Superintendent's Update / Working Through All the Details
Working Though All the Details...
Dear Niagara Wheatfield Families,
As a District we are working hard to provide the best learning opportunities for all of our students during the COVID-19 crisis. The goal is to create the following: 1) a flexible Regular Program allowing for the possible transition from in-person, remote and hybrid learning models; 2) a completely Virtual Program. The purpose of this communication is to update families on the Commitment Form response rate, our scheduling progress, share a timeline of events, and provide the information Governor Cuomo asked to be posted on the District website.
In mid-July (prior to releasing our plan) we sent out an initial survey asking families whether they planned on sending their school-aged child(ren) to school in September, or if families would be interested in a completely virtual option (if possible). We had a very high response rate to the survey, and approximately 33% of respondents selected the completely virtual option.
Our team then utilized the survey data to inform our Reopening Plan, which was shared with families. A Commitment Form was then sent out and approximately 20% of the respondents selected the completely virtual option. As you can probably imagine, a 13% swing has meant a great deal of creative problem solving. We hope to have master schedules in place by the end of next week (August 21). Once the master schedule is complete then student schedules will be created.
The following is a timeline of what has been done and what is next to come:
- July 6, 2;00 pm: First Continuity of Learning meeting to discuss process, timeline, and seek initial input
- July 15: Guidance expected from NYS Ed Dept
- July 15 and 16 - District Leadership Team Meetings
- July 15 - Focus on District Safety Items
- July 16 - Focus on Continuity of Learning
- July 17 - 10:00 am: District Safety Committee Meeting
- July 20 - 2:00 pm: Second Continuity of Learning meeting to share out NYS guidance, its impact, consequential plans
- July 27 - 2:00 pm: Third District Continuity Meeting to share our plan
- July 31 – District submitted plans to NYSED and NYSDoH
- August 3 - 2:30 pm - Webinar Question and Answer with Elementary Families
- August 3 - 6:30 pm - Webinar Question and Answer with Secondary Families
- August 4 - 2:30 pm - Webinar Question and Answer with Secondary Families
- August 4 - 6:30 pm - Webinar Question and Answer with Elementary Families
- August 5 - 8:00 pm - Deadline for Families to select Regular or Virtual Program
- August 7 – Governor Cuomo made decision allowing schools to reopen
- August 14 - 10:00 am - District Safety Committee Meeting
- August 20 - 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm - Teacher Webinars on Reopening
All school districts in New York State are required to post plans created with local health departments addressing Covid-19 testing and contact tracing. We have posted the 5-page plan developed in conjunction with the Niagara County Health Department . The Niagara County Department of Health is expecting some updates to the 5-page plan and we will post any changes made on our website. We were also asked to provide a review of how we have addressed the digital divide, which is also posted on the website and can be found here
I cannot and would not speak for other Districts, but I must say that our staff has been outstanding throughout this entire ordeal, and continue to commit themselves to providing the best educational experience possible, in every possible scenario.
Stay Safe and Enjoy the rest of the Summer,
The NWCSD Team