• Niagara Wheatfield provides many different types of physical exams to our students.  Here we will answer some of the most commonly asked questions. 

    1) Can my daughter/son have a physical completed at school?
    The family physician is in the best position to provide the school with the most accurate, up-to-date health information and we encourage families to obtain a physical for their children from their personal health care provider.  However, we realize that in some cases, this is not always possible.  Therefore, schools will provide physical exams during the school year, typically in the Fall. These physicals cover New York State mandated physicals, working paper physicals and sports physicals.

    2) What if I don't have a physician?
    If you don't have a physician, the physical can be completed by the school physician/nurse practitioner as outlined above in Question #1 or an appointment can be made with one of our school physicians or the school nurse practitioner at their office.

    3) At what grades are students required to have physicals?
    The following students are mandated to receive physical exams:
    • All new students entering the district
    • All students in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11
    • Students in Special Education (Required every 3 years)
    • Students participating in sports (Qualifying physical every 12 months)
    • Students requesting working papers (Required for students 14-17 yrs old)
    4) For how long are physical exams effective?
    Working Paper Physical - Effective for 12 months from the date of the exam
    Sports Physical - Effective for 12 months, through the last day of the month in which the physical was completed.
    Special Education Physical - Required every 3 years

    5) At what age are working papers needed and what is required in order to obtain working papers?
    Students who are between the ages of 14 and 17 years old must obtain working papers in order to be employed.  The following information is required in order for working papers to be issued:
    • Proof of age (Birth certificate (or copy), drivers license)
    • Proof of physical exam within the last 12 months
    • Application signed by parent or guardian

    The application may be picked up from the Middle School Student Life Center or the High School Main office.  All required information must also be returned to either the Middle School Student Life Center or the High School Main office.  It may take 24-48 hours for the working paper card to be issued.